Niki de Saint Phalle - Hon

One of the first works by an other artist in relation to feminism that truly grabbed my attention was Hon by Niki de Saint Phalle. I found this piece intriguing because it invites viewers into the world of femininity and the overall discomfort women often feel with other people, or oftentimes men, imposing on their bodies and personal space. This is not the intent of this piece, but it is how I related to it. The real intent is to create a temple and a return to mother. It is a celebration of motherhood and where we all come from.

“Bad tongues said that it was the biggest whore in the world because she welcomed 100000 visitors in three months.” - Translated from the french Wikipedia page on Hon.

The inside of the artwork showcases a variety of pieces. The destruction of this piece was a performance as well.

The use of colour and larger scale stands out to me, and I am tempted to make use of similar components. 

Commentaires