Collaboratorium

Throughout the collaboratorium process, we discussed many different ideas, and how we could each incorporate part of our own practice into a group work. We settled on the cabinet as a combined gallery space that could have an overarching theme which would relate to all of our practices. After we took notes on everyone’s practices and the topics they explore, we all quickly settled on the theme of the body being right for our project.

The following are my notes which helped in our decision making process:


My original idea for the collaboratorium was to create a giant body part stool. I settled on a tooth stool. This proved to be much more difficult, time consuming and heavy than I anticipated, and the project didn’t quite work the way I’d wanted. 

This photo was taken shortly before the tooth broke:

I did have a backup plan though, to make as many small teeth as possible, and to continue making more throughout the exhibition process. Every small tooth takes approximately 15-20 minutes to make and I’ve been progressively making more and more. At this point I have 30 but I do wish to make more. In making small objects, I also expect that some of the teeth will be taken and interacted with, which some already have and I am more than happy about that. I will continue to make more throughout the break and add them in when I can.




Since my original plan involved seating, I also made a wooden chair with which I took creative liberties in order to have a space for the teeth within the chair. 



With each person focusing on a different task in the cabinet, we’ve come to this final project: 






After the exhibition time is over on the 8th floor, I will move the cabinet back to the studios for this coming winter semester.









 

Commentaires